Monday, May 7, 2012

Crockpot Lasagna

It really works!

I've seen recipes for making lasagna in the crockpot and will admit I was a bit skeptical at first. It just didn't seem feasible for some reason, but I was intrigued at the same time at how it would turn out. I just used my own favourite lasagna recipe that I've come up with over the years and crossed my fingers for the best. I must say, I am extremely pleased with how well it turned out. It was so well kept together and not at all runny. The hubby enjoyed it so much and the two year old had THREE servings and kept saying "mmmmm" every time she took a bite! I will definitely be making lasagna again in the crockpot!

Ingredients
12 lasagna noodles (I used oven-ready, so no cooking prep before hand)
1 lb ground beef, cooked and drained of grease
6 mushrooms, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1/2 white onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 package frozen spinach, heated in microwave and drained
1 jar tomato sauce
1 - 500mL container cottage cheese or ricotta cheese
1 cup grated cheese of your choice (I usually use cheddar because that's what we normally have in the fridge)

Directions
1. Cook meat with garlic until fully browned. Drain any excess grease. Add onions, celery, mushrooms, and whatever other vegetables you want to add into it.

2. Heat spinach in microwave, according to directions on package (normally about 4 minutes) and then drain any excess liquid. Mix in with the meat mixture. Add tomato sauce and let simmer a few minutes until vegetables are softened to your liking.

3. Line the bottom of the crockpot with 3 lasagna noodles (depending on the size and shape of your crockpot, you'll probably have to snap off some of the noodle so it will fit - but you can just place those broken pieces in the gaps).

4. Evenly place meat mixture over top noodles and then do the same with the cottage cheese on top of the meat. Repeat until you have 3 layers of noodles and no more meat mixture or cottage cheese. Place grated cheese on top.

5. Cover and cook on high for about 3 hours or until noodles are softened to your liking.


May not look as neat as oven-baked lasagna, but definitely tastes just as delicious!

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment